Conté crayons can be used in different ways:
- Conté Carré crayons are oblong sticks of kaolin and pigment, resembling something between the hardness of soft pastel and the stickiness of oil pastel. Using the “flat edge” of the pastel by varying the pressure (the greater the pressure on the pastel, the denser will be the colour obtained) to create the values.
- Originally formulated in the late 18th century, they are excellent sketching tools. Big areas of colour can quickly be created when used flat.
- The Conte a Paris Color Carré crayons give accurate and energetic strokes when the edges or tips of the sticks are used (which can be sharpened with a sanding pad). Holding the Carré upright or slightly slanted, you can draw using the sharper angles at the end of the pastel (allowing you to sketch and structure the drawing).
- Supports all types of grained papers (mainly semi-coloured papers), canvas and various surfaces with unevenness.
- They may also be used in conjunction with paper stumps and putty rubbers.
- The set of 48 Assorted Coloured Crayons Includes 1 each of Lemon Yellow, Yellow, Naples Yellow, Golden Yellow, Indian Yellow, Orange, Scarlet, Red Lead, Red, Garnet Red, Purple, Flesh, Light Orange, Madder, Pink, Cyclamen, Persian Violet, Lilac, Violet, Prussian Blue, Dark Ultra, Ultramarine, Blue, Light Blue, Paynes Grey, Sky Blue, Green Blue, Prussian Green, Emerald Green, Mineral Green, Dark Green, Light Green, St Michael Green, Lime, Olive Green, Grey Green, Yellow Ochre, Natural Sienna, Red Brown, Bistre, Red Earth, Natural Umber, Umber, Dark Grey, Light Grey, Sepia Grey, Black & White.
- The Conté à Paris Carré Crayon x 12 Set of Colour Crayons Assorted, contains: Bistre; Dark Green; Bright; Yellow Medium; Black; Pink; Orange; White; Yellow Ochre; Cobalt Blue; Saint Michel Green; Dark Ultramarine
- The Conté à Paris Carré Crayon x 12 Set of Colour Crayons Portrait, contains: Red Brown; Ultramarine; Orange; Raw Sienna; Umber; Garnet Red; Bordeaux; Naples Yellow; Flesh; Light Orange; Pink; Red Lead
- The Conté à Paris Carré Crayon x 12 Set of Colour Crayons Landscape, contains: Red Brown; Light Green; Ultramarine Blue; Golden Yellow; Olive Green; Mineral Green; Umber; St Michael Green; Naples Yellow; Grey Green; Paynes Grey; Sky Blue
- The Conté à Paris Carré Crayon x 12 Set of Sketching Crayons Assorted, contains a selection of black, grey, white, sanguine and sepia colours.
- The Conté à Paris Carré Crayon x 12 Set of Sketching Crayons Black, contains a selection of black
More about the brand :
The history of Conté à Paris products cannot be separated from the personality of the company’s founder, Nicolas Jacques Conté.
Born in 1755, Nicolas claimed the title of painter, chemist, physicist, hot air balloonist and inventor during the fifty years of his life. His historical achievement is undeniable. In 1794 he developed the modern graphite lead from a mixture of clay and graphite, thus making it finally possible to create different hardness grades for pencils. The pencil factory he set up in 1795 enabled France to produce its calligraphy and drawing materials.
A few years later, he developed “pencils without sleeves” (bare leads) replacing those made from “Italian stone”. He worked on making the colours “fixed and unchangeable” to meet the requirements of the painters of the day. Artists’ pencils and pastels were born.
Over the decades, the quality and depth of its ranges have enabled Conté à Paris to establish itself as a true reference for artists worldwide. Used by top masters, amateur artists and art students alike, Conté à Paris offers the widest variety of techniques and effects possible for drawing, sketching and pastel work.