A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BRUYNZEEL BRAND
Bruynzeel was founded in 1897 as Stoomtimmerfabriek in Rotterdam by Cornelis Bruynzeel Sr, producing wooden floorboards, wood shaving products, and school desks. In 1948 the company was asked by the Dutch government to supply pencils, which evolved into the production of other writing, hobby and office supplies. Since 1948, the Dutch company Bruynzeel has been supplying top quality writing, hobby, and artist products for the home, school and studio.
With its wide product range, Bruynzeel provides an answer to every functional or creative aspiration for expressing your imagination.
In 2016, Bruynzeel joined the Royal Talens family of products, and as a result, is experiencing a resurgence in its popularity worldwide. Bruynzeel manufactures several lines of pencils for every type of artistic venture. Bruynzeel has designed a series of pencils that inspire artists to do their best work. This watercolour, coloured and graphite pencil sets, contain colours and grades that were carefully chosen to evoke the work of the Dutch Masters.
Much like the Rijksmuseum’s vision of linking individuals with art and history, Bruynzeel Dutch Masters Pencil Sets link artists to some of the greatest artworks of all time.
With Bruynzeel Design, you will be extremely happy with the buttery soft core based on a liquid wax formula which eliminates wax bloom. The light cedar casings from sustainably managed forests are very attractive and functional as well as being environmentally responsible. The core is glued securely to the casing, ensuring that it stays in the pencil while sharpening. These pencils have outstanding colour transfer producing “a lot” of colour without much pressure reducing hand strain and prolonging the life of the pencil. The colours are completely archival with good to excellent lightfast ratings. The CPSA tested proprietary pigment mixtures are of the highest degree and ensure superior tinting strength and exhibit excellent burnishing and layering qualities. With a 3.7mm core diameter, you will experience an ease of control well suited for both large areas and detail work.
Bruynzeel pencils have a hexagonal shape, will not roll away and a matte finish to grip the pencil with ease. The ends of each pencil are colour coded for easy selection. The tinting strength and lightfastness of Bruynzeel Design colour pencils were objectively judged by KM Art Material Magazine, which recommended these colour pencils as the best choice.
Coloured Pencils – Set of 24 — This set includes 24 Bruynzeel Coloured Pencils, one each of Burnt Sienna, Flesh, Crimson Red, Light Flesh, Vermilion, Carmine, Mid Orange, Light Lemon Yellow, Leaf Green, Light Green, Viridian, Kings Blue, Indigo, Dark Violet, Mauve, Candy Pink, White, Dark Gray, Black Intenso, Burnt Ochre, Dark Brown, Yellow Ochre, Green, and Ice Green.
Coloured Pencils – Set of 50 — This set includes 50 Bruynzeel Coloured Pencils, one each of Burnt Sienna, Flesh, Brown Pink, Crimson Red, Light Flesh, Vermilion, Dark Red, Carmine, Permanent Orange, Madder Lake Light, Brown Ochre, Deep Yellow, Orange, Mid Orange, Yellow, Naples Yellow, Light Lemon Yellow, Yellow Brown, Yellowish Green, Leaf Green, Gold, Green, Olive Green Light, Chromium Oxide Green, Light Green, Deep Green, Emerald Green, Turquoise Blue, Sevres Blue, Viridian, Light Blue, Kings Blue, Indigo, Dark Violet, Mauve, Prussian Blue, Dark Pink, Candy Pink, Violet, White, Dark Gray, Dull Cold Gray, Cold Gray, Black, Black Intenso, Burnt Ochre, Dark Brown, Havana Brown, Ice Green, and Yellow Ochre.
Aquarel Pencils – Design Watercolour Pencils
To create detailed watercolour drawings artists use not only watercolour paint and a brush. For tiny details – that optically contribute the most in terms of depth and shading – they have watercolour pencils. This offers them the freedom of water colouring and the accuracy of pencils.
Bruynzeel Design watercolour pencils are made from high-quality colour pigments that are completely water-soluble. These pencils can be applied both dry and wet. The core has a thickness of 3.7mm and the ends are colour coded.
Aquarel Pencils – Set of 24 — This set includes 24 Bruynzeel Aquarelle Pencils, one each of Burnt Sienna, Flesh, Crimson Red, Light Flesh, Vermilion, Carmine, Mid Orange, Light Lemon Yellow, Leaf Green, Light Green, Viridian, Kings Blue, Indigo, Dark Violet, Mauve, Candy Pink, White, Dark Gray, Black Intenso, Burnt Ochre, Dark Brown, Yellow Ochre, Green, and Ice Green.
The secret of realistic sketches and lifelike portraits is the use of graphite pencils that are perfectly matched in terms of graphite transfer and hardness. After all, depth and shadows are the results of subtle colour transitions or striking contrasts.
Bruynzeel Design graphite pencils are made from the finest, high-quality raw materials and suitable for design work, technical drawings, sketching and illustrations. The graphite core has a thickness of 2.2mm to 3.5mm, depending on the hardness
Graphite Pencils – Set of 12 — This set includes 12 Bruynzeel Graphite Pencils, one each of 2H, 1H, HB, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B, 5B, 6B, 7B, 8B, and 9B.
- Premium highly pigmented coloured pencils
- 3.7 mm wide-gauge
- Double-glued coloured cores
- Incredible lightfastness
- Finest light cedar casings
- Excellent colour transfer and easy to layer
- Very resistant to breakage and a joy to sharpen
- High quality coloured pencil box, tin and master sets
- High colour transfer that is easy to layer
- Fine artists
- Illustrators and designers
- Figure drawing
TIPS FOR MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR COLOUR PENCIL EXPERIENCE
- Try using a blender (available in pencil and marker) for burnishing
- Experiment with solvents for blending colour (rubbing alcohol, odourless spirits, baby oil) always test first!
- Dip blending stumps or tortillions in a solvent and use as a blender (or a Q-Tip)
- Correct mistakes with a sticky tape such as scotch tape
- Use Canned Air Spray to remove colour pencil dust instead of a brush to eliminate smearing
- For fine detail make an impression on the paper first then use light pressure over it to define the line
- Erasers you can use include colour pencil erasers, kneaded erasers and vinyl erasers
- Use Erasing Shields to isolate the areas you want to erase
- Use a sheet of Glassine or tracing paper to rest your hand on as a shield to protect your work from smearing while drawing
- In addition to pencils sharpeners, use sandpaper pointers for less waste
- Use colour juxtaposition to create contrast and depth (i.e. complementary colours) as opposed to black or white
- Experiment with different drawing surfaces for effects
- Build up to heavy applications, it’s easier to correct mistakes that way
- Using a dry brush to blend areas can brighten the surface
This video shows one of the four Dutch Masters pencil collection. This pencil collection, The Night Watch is a tribute to Rembrandt’s largest, most famous canvas. The pencils are manufactured from quality pigments for very good colour transfer. The handy tin makes sure your pencils are properly stored after colouring.