Many GOLDEN Gels, Pastes and Paints make great surfaces for dry and wet media such as pencil, pen & ink, pastels, markers, charcoal and watercolours. Golden Products have created specialized acrylic mediums as preparations (or “grounds”) for drawing, such as Silverpoint/Drawing Ground. Perhaps one of the greatest advantages of using an acrylic ground or medium to prepare a surface for drawing is the opportunity to move from paper to canvas, panels, walls and even non-traditional supports and surfaces.
- Fine Pumice Gel: (R-L Fine, Coarse, Extra Coarse) create gritty, absorbent, textured surfaces. They dry hard with a greyish colour from the ground volcanic rock the contain. While generally opaque, these gels contain only clear acrylic gel and ground pumice. Fine Pumice Gel is an excellent ground for charcoal, graphite and pastel, all Pumice Gels have an absorbent quality that works well under or blended with GOLDEN Acrylic colours.
- Crackle Paste: a thick, opaque material that cracks as it dries. The size and extent of the cracking pattern depend on the thickness of application, and environmental conditions during drying and other factors. Dries to an opaque, matte finish, with an absorbent surface suitable for acrylic paints and mediums.
- Fibre Paste: when dry has the appearance of handmade paper. It can be skimmed with a wet palette knife to make a smoother surface. The dry off-white colour is absorbent, making it ideal for use with acrylic washes.
- Coarse Molding Paste: thick, warm white coloured medium, translucent up to about 1/8 inch thickness. Dries to a hard, stiff but flexible film with tooth-like fine sandpaper. Accepts wet and dry media very well. Mix with Fluid or Heavy Body Acrylics to create dense paint that holds good peaks and dries matte to satin with a finely pebbled surface.
- Acrylic Ground for Pastels: an acrylic preparation for pastels on canvas and other supports. It creates a toothy surface similar to papers used with pastel and chalk. For an even rougher texture, Fine or Coarse Pumice Gel can be added. Acrylic Ground for Pastel can also be tinted with acrylic colours.
- Silverpoint / Drawing Ground: an opaque white liquid acrylic preparation for drawing media. It is designed for fine detail and line work on a permanent, lightfast, flexible ground. Silverpoint / Drawing Ground can be tinted with acrylic colours and is ideal for use with metal styli, graphite and other drawing tools.