Watercolour Paper Rolls – Arches
R2 750.00 – R4 399.00
The watercolour paper most prized by artists all over the world! Its 100 % long cotton fibre composition gives the paper its beauty, a natural, lasting whiteness and a distinctive touch as well as strength. ARCHES® is made the traditional way on a cylinder mould which gives this unique paper a harmonious natural grain. Thanks to this method, the fibres are evenly distributed and the paper slackens uniformly when wet. ARCHES® is the only paper mill in the world to gelatin size its watercolour paper “to the core”. This preserves the lustre and transparency of the colours whilst preventing paints from penetrating the paper. It allows superposing of washes and gives it added strength to resist erasing and scratching without tearing or linting. It also allows paints to be removed, either wet or dry, easily revealing the whiteness of the paper. ARCHES® Watercolour paper can absorb a large amount of water with limited deformation.
- Composition: 100% cotton – made on a cylinder mould – sized to the core with natural gelatin.
- Paper Weight: 185 & 300gsm.
- Paper size: 113 cm x 9.14 m.
- Textures: rough, cold press and hot press, 185gsm only in a cold press texture.
- Colour: natural.
- Watermark (sheet): “Arches® France ∞”
- Conservation: with alkaline reserve, acid-free, no optical brightening agents (permanent per ISO 9706), fungicidal treatment to prevent the appearance of mould.
- Uses: ideal for watercolour painting, as for all wet techniques such as ink, gouache and acrylic.
Understanding the 3 surfaces or textures of watercolour paper:
Rough – A pronounced, varied texture, great for a textured loose feel.
Cold-pressed (NOT) – It’s the paper texture in-between rough and hot-pressed paper, having a slightly textured surface, this paper is sometimes called NOT.
The Not stands for “Not Hot pressed”
Hot-pressed (HP) – Watercolour paper with a very smooth surface and almost no tooth. Good for painting detailed paintings and creating very smooth washes.
View our Arches Watercolour Paper range: